Monday, November 14, 2011

Caramel Apples

... i always see these caramel apples at the mall every time i pass by Chocolate Factory or similar shops...and i've always wanted to try them... so I made some homemade ones =)
These are actually really simple to make... (just a little bit messy though >.<) Here's how I did it...
First, you need some nice fresh Granny Smith apples, I used 5 regular sized ones.
Then, get some kind of sturdy sticks to poke into the apples... I used lollipop sticks that I use for cake pops, but I think something sturdier would be better, such as popsicle sticks or the longer lollipop sticks.
Tip: the best place to poke the apple is just right beside the stem (shown below), not directly on the stem. If you hit the stem itself, it will be very hard to poke through.
I was in a rush at the grocery store... so I just grabbed this low-fat caramel dipping sauce...you can find these right next to the apples section (Note: this sauce has a thinner consistency than the actual caramel sauce that they use for commercial caramel apples, so you may have a dripping problem, like me -__- But these pretty much do the trick =)

I placed the caramel into a small sauce pan on low heat for about 30 seconds or so, while stirring...then turned off the heat. You just want to loosen the sauce a bit for easier dipping.
Then just dip the apples one by one =)
After dipping, place onto a serving plate... (Note: if the caramel sauce on the apples seems too thin, you may want to double dip your apples for a thicker caramel coating) That's exactly what I did =) Double the caramel, double the yummy!
Then, you are ready to put toppings!
I just crushed the nuts and oreos in a food processor and placed in separate bowls for easy dipping & coating. And it should come out looking like this...
You may stop here, or if you love chocolate like me...you may want to add some white chocolate & milk chocolate sauce on these to make it that much more delicious =) Just melts some white & milk chocolate chips in the microwave. (Tip: add a bit of vegetable oil into the chocolate chips to thin-out the chocolates, for easier handling)

Here's how they turned out...

I couldn't resist the walnut caramel apple one! it's the best way to eat a fresh apple, if you ask me... =)

Have fun making these... just make sure to plan to make a mess =)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.