Sunday, June 23, 2013

Creamy Dark Chocolate Ganache over Dark Chocolate Cupcakes

The BEST CUPCAKES just happened in my kitchen.
Dark Chocolate Cupcake 
w/ Creamy Dark Chocolate Ganache
Cupcake Ingredients
(makes 18 cupcakes)
  • 1 box Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup milk (I used Low-fat milk instead of the suggested water from the box recipe)
You can pretty much prepare the batter with a wire whisk, but I used a stand mixer.

First, put the oil in the bowl mixer. At low to medium speed, add the eggs one at a time (incorporate each egg well before adding the next). Then add the milk and incorporate well. Finally, sift the cake mix in the bowl, one cup at a time, mixing in between. (yes, you should sift the cake mix). =) Once the cake mix is almost all incorporated, stop the mixer, and continue to incorporate batter with a spatula. (This helps to prevent over-mixing). Divide batter into cupcake pans lined with cupcake liners. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 F, for 12 minutes. Check done-ness with a toothpick, should come out clean. Let cool in a wire rack.

Your cupcake should come out moist and soft.
Once the cupcakes were cool enough, I removed the cupcake liners so I can dip each one in the dark chocolate ganache! I probably didn't need to do this step, but I was just worried the ganache was going to get all over the cupcake liners, but luckily it didn't. Next time, I probably will keep the cupcakes in the liners.

Onto the ganache recipe, which I pretty much modified from this awesome cake book I've had for awhile.
I just happened to glance through the pages today and realized I had all the ingredients I needed already in our kitchen. Plus, this recipe was super easy to make!

Dark Chocolate Ganache Ingredients
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 cup of Hershey's Dark Chocolate Chips
  • 2 Tbsp confectioner's sugar
First, place the chocolate chips in a heat resistant bowl. Set aside. Next, in a small sauce pan, heat the heavy cream and sugar together until you see the sides bubbling a little (should not be boiling, however). This step only took about 15-30 seconds for me. Then pour the hot cream over the chocolate chips. With a wire whisk or fork, immediately start stirring the cream and chocolate together until well incorporated. You should have a rich, smooth and creamy chocolate sauce. GANACHE!

Let the ganache cool a bit. Maybe 5 minutes. Once it's cool enough, Dip each cupcake into the ganache and decorate cupcake however you like. I went with a simple dark chocolate chip on top of each cupcake. But you can also use chocolate sprinkles or chocolate shavings. YUM!
Of course I had to serve me one of these to try. It was probably the best chocolate cupcake I have ever ever made, just because of that creamy ganache! I think that really topped off the cake fairly well. Goes much better than any butter cream frosting out there, in my opinion.
I must say, I stirred clear from box cake mix for awhile because I wanted to bake from scratch, but I have yet to make cupcake from scratch that taste as good as this one! These cupcakes are the perfect after dinner dessert I crave so often. It's just the right amount to chocolate for someone who needs something sweet at the end of a meal. OMG is it soooo good! The creamy dark chocolate ganache goes so well with this cupcake. It brings out the moistness of the cake so well. I can seriously eat 2 or 3 of these at a time, but self control keeps me in check. ;)

WARNING: Try to share, or else you will eat them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.