Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Hershey's Kisses Birthday Cake

Hershey's Kisses 
Birthday Cake
(Recipe adapted from here)

Okay, so it wasn't anyone's birthday...But we don't need an occasion to eat cake!!!
This cake is by far the best chocolate cake made from scratch. I have used this recipe before and it was probably one of the first cakes I've ever made! Here's a link to that cake here

Anyway, I have been practicing making cakes for an upcoming baby shower cake for a friend of mine. And of course, I chose to make it chocolate, because who doesn't love chocolate cake, right? Here's the first practice cake, which is a single layer 9-inch round cake. =)
Since these were "practice" cakes, I chose to just keep them one layer, to make it easier on myself. I was pretty much just working on the recipes (cake, frosting, and ganache), and practicing with decoration. 

I was trying to get the buttercream frosting as smooth as possible, with straight edges on the top and bottom on the cake, which took time, but practice makes perfect, right?
The straight edges of the buttercream made topping the cake with the ganache alot prettier too! The ganache also look nice and straight.

Here's a look at the same cake only as a 6-inch round cake version...
Isn't she lovely?
Isn't she wonderful?
Isn't she precious?

LOL... Anyway...Let's move on to the recipe. Again, you can find another version of this cake here where I used bananas!!! Okay, enough with the chit chat...Recipe time>>>
Ingredients
Cake
2 cup sugar
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
3/4 cup Hershey's Cocoa or Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa (I used the dark), sifted
1 1/2 tsp baking powder, sifted
1 1/2 tsp baking soda, sifted
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
Frosting
**I'm still perfecting this recipe, but it's still good. This amount of frosting will cover both 9 and 6 inch cakes.
3 sticks butter, room temp
8-9 cups powdered sugar, sifted
8 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
1 Tbsp hot water
1 tsp vanilla extract
Instructions
  1. Heat oven to 350 F.
  2. Prepare and grease the 9 inch and 6 inch pans with butter and parchment paper.
  3. Prepare batter. Mix all the dry ingredients together well in a stand mixer bowl. In a separate bowl, lightly mix the eggs, milk, and oil together. While the mixer is running, add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients, in 3 parts. Mix well, about 2 minutes. Then add the vanilla. Turn off mixer, and stir in the hot water.
  4. Pour batter into pans. Fill each pan up to 3/4 the height of the pan. 
  5. Bake the 6-inch cake 35 minutes. Bake the 9-inch cake up to 45-50 minutes.
  6. Check done-ness with a toothpick. Should see moist crumbs on toothpick, but not wet.
  7. Remove from oven, let cool on wire racks until pan can be touched with bare hands. Run knife around edged of the cake. Remove from pans, and let cool completely onto wire racks before frosting. 
To make frosting, just mix the butter well first, make sure it's at room temperature! Then add the sifted sugar, one cup at a time. Alternating with the whipping cream. If the frosting seems too dry, add the cream next, if it's too soft, add the sugar next. And once you have almost the consistency you like, add in your vanilla. If you frosting looks nice and smooth, you're done. But if it looks dry still, maybe you can use the hot water still. **Like I said, I'm still working on the recipe as well... lol.

To make the ganache, use this recipe here

I wanted to try to cover the cakes with dripping ganache. I just think it looks so delicate and yummy the way the chocolate is dripping down the sides of the cake this way. It took all my power not to eat the cakes before I showed my husband first. He was so impressed by the way it looked. AND TASTED!!! **Husband-approved-cakes, ladies!!! So get to baking!!!
So next time I ever think of trying a chocolate cake recipe, I'm just gonna need to refer back to this, because I have found my go to chocolate cake! This cake was moist, easy to cut into, full of that rich dark chocolate taste, and made me crave milk or coffee. OMG! Good combination with the buttercream and ganache!!! 
Have fun baking!

**The cake recipe was found in one of my cookbooks found here. The book looks like this...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.