Thursday, October 17, 2013

Oreo Cookies Birthday Cake!

Happy Birthday month to my little bro.
He's not so little anymore, actually.
So if you haven't already noticed, I've been fancying baking cakes lately. Before, I was so intimidated by them because they are a little bit harder to pull together. I must admit, I almost gave up on this birthday cake because I was just having trouble crumb coating it. But thank goodness I had some Oreo cookies in the pantry (my husband loves Oreos), which I used to "disguise" the not-so-perfect crumb coat. =)
I really liked how moist and dense this cake turned out the last time I made it, so I know it was going to be good when made into an Oreo cake version. I used the same recipe since I know my brother would like a chocolate-based cake. This time, I made a two-layer cake using 2 of Wilton's 6x2-inch round cake pans.

TIP: Using the recipe above, prepare the cake batter, and split into two 6x2-inch cake pans. Fill the cake pans about 2/3 the way. If there are extra batter, make cupcakes with them! Or, if there's really that much batter, use the rest to make a third 6-inch cake layer, if you have another 6-inch cake pan lying around. It's really up to you, but just make sure the cake batter sits at even levels so the cakes cook at the same time evenly.

While the cakes are baking. Prepare your frosting...

Classic Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
(Recipe adapted from here)

  • 1 cup unsalted butter, room temp
  • 3-4 cups sifted powdered sugar
  • a pinch of salt
  • 1 Tbsp good vanilla extract 
  • 3-4 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
Directions: In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, whip the room temperature butter until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. When there are no more lumps, add the powder sugar 1 cup at a time, scraping the bowl in between additional cups. Incorporate well. Add salt and vanilla. While the mixer is on, add 1 tablespoon at a time of cream until you have a nice smooth and fluffy consistency. Refrigerate for 10-15 minutes or until set. Remove from refrigerator when ready to frost the cakes.

Once your cakes have cooled, you are ready to frost. TIP: Make sure the cakes have cooled all the way to room temperature. Any hint of warmth will melt your frosting away while you're decorating and will make it hard to prevent the frosting from being too runny.

Assembling the cake...

Start with one cake layer.

Then place a dollop of frosting on top to serve as the filling. Spread evenly all the way to the edge of the cake, and allow for excess frosting to spread over the sides.

Then place the second layer of cake.

Add another dollop of frosting on top of the second layer and spread evenly, allowing for excess.

Add frosting all around the sides of the cake, to seal as much of the crumbs as possible without disturbing too much of the cake. TIP: Take your time, and be as gentle as possible so the crumbs don't start getting mixed into your frosting as you spread...(Don't be like me, I was silly and making this cake at 3 AM so it looks very crumby and disturbed...lol)
Once you're "happy" with your crumb coat, refrigerate the cake for about 30 minutes to let the frosting set.

While you wait, break in half about 9 Oreo cookies, yielding 18 halves to add around the bottom trim of the cake and on top of the cake for decoration. Grab another 4 Oreos and crumble finely, this will go on the sides and top of the cake also, it should look something like this...
Keep the cake refrigerated after decorating to continue allowing it to set before serving.
I'm really glad I didn't give up on this cake. It's not the best looking thing, but it was sooo good! My brother and family really liked it! (of course, right). But, no! seriously! it was sooo good!! Just imagine a big giant Oreo cookie turned into cake. That was this cake. 
I like how "rustic" this cake looks, since it didn't look "perfect." Truly a homemade looking cake. Hehe. 
I almost didn't want to eat it so it can stay this way forever, but eventually it was cut...
 ...and cut...
 At least I was able to save a slice =)
Happy Birthday! October!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.