Saturday, November 23, 2013

Oreo Crumble Cheesecake!

Oreo Crumble Cheesecake!
more cake for my mom's birthday last weekend...
 ...look at all those Oreos!!!
You know I love me some homemade desserts for special occasions, and birthdays are no exception. My mom's birthday was this past weekend, so I decided to make cheesecake again this year. I made her a strawberry cheesecake a couple of years ago seen here >>>
...and she loved it! so I thought I'd make another this year. This time...Oreo-style!!!

Oreo Crumble Cheesecake!

Crust:
2 cups Oreo crumbs
1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted

Filling:
3 (8 oz) package Philadelphia cream cheese, room temp
1 1/2 c granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
3 large eggs
3/4 cup sour cream
2 tsp vanilla extract
juice of 1/2 lemon

Ganache & Topping:
1 c heavy whipping cream
1-1 1/2 c Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate chips
1 oz Baker's unsweetened chocolate
1 Tbsp powdered sugar
6 Oreo cookies, into large crumbs

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 8-inch round spring form pan with parchment paper and lightly greased.
2. Prepare crust. Mix Oreo crumbs with melted butter. Place into bottom of prepared pan. Set aside.
Note: You can bake the crust at this point to make it a little more crusty, 350 degrees F for 10-15 minutes. Remove, let cool, set aside. I actually didn't make time to bake the crust, so I just left it as is... Lazy me...
3. In a stand mixer, mix cream cheese with sugar and salt.
4. In a separate bowl, lightly beat eggs, sour cream, vanilla, and lemon juice.
5. With the stand mixer on low to medium speed, slowly pour egg mixture into cream cheese mixture until well incorporated, about 2 minutes.
Tip: Make sure to scrape down the sides and bottom of the stand mixer bowl to incorporate all the ingredients together.
6. Pour Filling on top of crust. Level it off with a rubber spatula and into the oven.
7. Bake 350 degrees F for 20 minutes. Then reduce heat to 250 degrees F and bake for another 60 minutes, or until just the middle of the cheesecake is wobbly.
8. Remove from oven, let cool completely on a wire rack before refrigerating. Refrigerate over night or at least 6-8 hours before garnishing.

Look how pretty and smooth it looks when it came out of the oven...
...of course, once I took it out of the refrigerator the next morning, I see a HUGE CRACK!
... talk about that gnarly chip I made on the edge of the cheesecake when I was trying to plate the thing...

Tip: I learned from joyofbaking to help prevent a crack... once out of the oven, take a small knife and run it round the edge of the cheesecake to separate the sides from the pan, let it sit out until cooled, and then refrigerate over night. I learned this after making this cheesecake, so I will have to try this trick next time...
Anyway...the crack and the chip really doesn't matter because I covered the top with ganache and Oreos!!!

I poured ganache in between the cracks first to seal them and level the surface area. Then, I poured ganache all over the top of the cheesecake. After that I tilted the cake from side to side to spread the ganache evenly. Finally, I poured small drips of ganache to random areas on the sides of the cheesecake. Lastly, I just sprinkled the Oreo cookie crumbs on top. And voila...
...it looks so yummy.
I couldn't wait to slice into it!!!
After waiting and waiting for the weekend to come, as these guys sit in the fridge...
...it was finally time to serve it!
I've used this recipe many times, and I love it. It has been my "go-to" cheesecake recipe since I've started baking, seen here, here, and here. And everyone seems to like it, so I do tend to gravitate towards this recipe a lot. You can see pieces of red velvet crumbs on it since I was using the same knife to cut both cakes. Lol...

Read about that Red Velvet Birthday Cake here.
When all was served, I managed to save the last piece for me...
Happy Birthday November!

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.