Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Candy Cane Kisses Christmas Cake!

The second cake I made for Christmas 2013!

Candy Cane Kisses
Christmas Cake!
I am so happy to share this cake with you all. I have been in the kitchen too much this month, but I love every minute of it! Baking and cooking is my kinda hobby. I especially am happy when my cakes turn out the way I like.
This Christmas Cake is super fun to make and decorate. It's simple, but eye-catching!
I decided to play more on the red & white theme like the other cake I made in the last post.

This is a homemade/scratch red velvet cake, frosted also with homemade cream cheese frosting. I used the same red velvet cake recipe I used for my mom's Red Velvet Birthday Cake, which a lot of people really liked. And the frosting is the same recipe from the other Christmas 2013 cake I made recently. See both recipes below.

It was really fun making this cake, I started out with a single layer of cake, and a good coat of frosting.
 Once I had the cake covered with frosting, I made some simple swirl design on the cake.
 You can see it better in this photo...
I had some candy cane Kisses around so I wanted to incorporate that into the decoration portion of the cake to make it festive and fit for Christmas Eve!

I just placed the chocolates around the top edge of the cake.
Now comes the fun part!!!!

Place the cake on a cooling rack, and drizzle melted red chocolate on top to cover the whole cake with random stripes!
It will get messy!
After this point, I just cleaned up the edge of the cake with a bit more frosting and smoothed it out some.

And lastly, a simple "Merry Christmas 2013" greeting to top it all off!
Give this one a try! It offers a lot of room for error. You don't need to be perfect. Just be creative and fun! Enjoy the recipes!

Candy Cane Kisses Christmas Cake!
Recipe seen here
Cake:
2 1/2 c all purpose flour
1 3/4 c granulated sugar
2 Tbsp cocoa powder (I used Ghirardelli 100% unsweetened)
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 c vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 Tbsp white vinegar
3 Tbsp milk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 Tbsp red food coloring

Prepare 9-inch cake pan, lightly greased and lined with parchment paper. Pre-heat oven to 350 F. Follow mixing technique found here. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 45-55 minutes. (Check done-ness with toothpick; toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake should come out with moist crumbs when done).

Cream Cheese Frosting
Recipe seen here
1 (8-oz) package Philadelphia cream cheese, room temp
1 stick unsalted butter, room temp
3-4 c confectioner's sugar
1 c all-purpose flour
3 Tbsp heavy whipping cream, cold

Cream together the cream cheese and butter. Alternately add the sugar, flour, and heavy whipping cream. Repeat process until all ingredients are incorporated well.


Be Happy, Healthy & Merry!


Merry Christmas & A Happy New Year!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.